Friday, February 5, 2010

Luang Prabang, Laos.

After settling into a comfortable but basic guesthouse with shared bathroom and after taking a much needed nap we ventured out to explore Luang Prabang. Lonely Planet describes Luang Prabang as "tonic for the soul". This is quite acurate as the town possess' a certain je ne sais quoi! The local people are much more at ease with the tourists here compared to Vang Vieng and I suspect this is because they do not act like brainsless boozed up clowns.
We spent three days enjoying the night market, bakery, steambath lodge, waterfalls, temples, dance theatre performance, photography exhibits and much more. We also were able to observe the offering of alm bowls to the monks that takes place every morning at 6 am as the sun rises. A unique experience that I am greatful to have been welcomed to enjoy.
Unfortunately I became ill with food poisoning on my final day in Luang Prabang and spent the day in bed unable to even hold water down. I thought I would be okay eating vegetarian foods but no such luck.
Judy and I said goodbye to our new friends from the UK as the next portions of our travels took as in different directins. It was great to get to know them and travel together for the week as we explored Loas.







No comments:

Post a Comment