Monday, January 4, 2010

A ban on facebook. Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam.

I should mention that facebook is not available in most of Vietnam. Facebook can be a powerful networking tool. Many of you may remember messages circulating recently regarding the political state in Iran. Facebook and twitter were one of the only resources the people of Iran had to communicate with the global community. My understanding is that Vietnam and many other Asia countries have taken measures to prevent a similar situation from occuring. I did find a loop hole in Nha Trang, which allowed me to access facebook lite. In Ho Chi Minh I cannot even access that version. So for those of you who have sent me emails via facebook and are wondering why you haven't received a response there's the answer.

The sleeper bus was designed much like a sleeper train with actually beds. There were, however, not long enough for me to straighten my legs or wide enough to curl up. It made for a long and uncomfortable night. I was woken up at 5 am to blasting techno. I was, unfortunately, directly beneath the speaker. Who doesn't enjoy techno first thing in the morning though, right?

It's still very early in the morning. I feel the need for a second vietnamese coffee. Today I am dropping Acer off at the service center. With a little luck it will be up and running within two days and I can post photos once again.



No comments:

Post a Comment